Saturday, March 13, 2010

An experience I will never forget!

Today was spent back in the city of Istanbul. Today we went into the spice bazaar and I was blown away with the assosrtment of spices, candy, and other goods that were available. We spent a while looking around and working our way through the crowds. It was mayhem at times. Well after a while I felt the urge to go to the bathroom and soon. Callie and I walked around and finally asked where a bathroom was and told to go around the corner. Down this little flight of stairs a booth was set up and a man was sitting in there. A short line was there but it was not the entrance to the restroom. I went in and sure enough every stall occupied. NOT GOOD! finally one opens up and I rush in to find no toilet and just a hole in the floor. OH HELL!!!!!!!!! I could not wait so I proceeded to use the restroom the way people in Turkey do, or so I thought. After finishing I looked around and yep you guessed it NO TOILET PAPER. Man what was I going to do? Then I noticed the little pot under the tap sitting on the floor. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Yep you just wash off. The little line outside the door was where you could purchase toilet paper from the guy in the booth. Well I finished up and went back outside and Callie must have known form the look on my face that something was up. She just looked at me and said " Uh Oh what happened?" I shared my experience and we reunited with the clan to hear them say that they had found the nicest bathrooms in the doughnut shop just down the road. I was devastated!! Needless to say we went back to the doughnut shop! Once in a lifetime experience ( at least I hope).
This evening just as we were about to head back to the hostel for the night a large celebration began. Apparently it was a holiday of some sort and at night they get into large groups and there are multiple groups that bring out drums and begin to play them while the crowds dance around. We weaved our way through the crowds and joined in the celebrations while taking pictures. What a great way to end our trip with a celebration!
This truely was an experience I will never forget!! Thanks for letting join the ride!

No comments: